Monday, May 24, 2010

Cornmeal Bread

I'm heading out of town this week and I wanted bread to make a sandwich to take on the plane, as well as to leave the husband with enough bread to make sandwiches while I'm gone.  James Beard's Cornmeal Bread fit the bill.  I love this bread because of it's texture.  The cornmeal adds a great toothsome texture and makes it easy to slice for sandwiches and toast.

I never use solely all purpose white flour in my breads.  I find the quality is not nearly as good and filling as when I use whole wheat bread flour.  There is a co-op grocery store called Greenfields Market up in Greenfield, MA that has absolutely wonderful whole wheat flour in their bulk bins.  It's almost a red color.  I stock up on it whenever I can!

The recipe below is based on James Beard's recipe.  It contains my own variations.  Do not be afraid of the amount of salt!  It is necessary in order to control the rising of the bread.

 The finished loaf

Ingredients
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 cup boiling water
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup "warm to the touch" water (use this level of heat for all water mixed with yeast)
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 cup warm milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
1 cup of all purpose white bread flour (I used Gold Medal)
1.5 - 2 cups of all purpose white flour 

Procedure (more to come later!)


sliced loaf and free form loaf

I'm submitting this post to YeastSpotting!  First submission after 2 faithful years of reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment