Sunday, May 23, 2010

Coconut Rum Rice Pudding

Last night the husband and I decided that we would spend our evening making a magnificent dinner - complete with appetizer, main course, and dessert.  He wanted me to make a rich custard or perhaps a flan.  I couldn't bring myself to do it.  When I'm already eating a fantastic meal, the last thing I want is a few hundred calories worth of eggs.  I can't handle the amount of eggs that most pudding and custard families call for.  So, I took my dilemma to the internet!  

I was out of milk.  However, I had a can of lite coconut milk!  Thus, I searched the food blogs for a coconut milk recipe.  I settled on a basic coconut milk rice pudding.  I had never made rice pudding until yesterday.  Can you believe it?  It is a very simple and homey recipe.  I had never made it!  Of course, I used a basic recipe and added some variations, and it turned out to be delicious.

Ingredients
Mix in saucepan and bring to a boil, then simmer 30 minutes:
1 - 14 ounce can of lite coconut milk
1/2 cup of arborio rice
1/8 teaspoon of salt
2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg 

simmering the mixture
Remove from heat and stir in:
1 - 2 Tablespoons of rum
Let cool and then add 1 can of mandarin oranges.  Chill and serve!


Wallah - finished product!

Notes
  •  Stir with a whisk to prevent scalding the milk.
  • Cook a little under the amount of time requested, as rice continues to absorb liquid.
  • Try using pineapple or mango puree instead of the mandarin oranges.
  • Could substitute the rum for vanilla extract and water...but who would want to?

No comments:

Post a Comment