Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Lansing and Fish Cakes

At the end of July, we moved from Sunderland, Massachusetts to Lansing, Michigan!

My husband is attending law school at Michigan State University.  He started orientation this week.  I am absolutely loving Lansing and East Lansing.  I started taking yoga classes with Hilltop Yoga and have been hunting for a job.

I'm looking for something where I work directly with people on a daily basis.  I enjoy recruiting and human resources functions.  I also like working in education environments.  I've been submitting my application to positions that meet these specifications.

In between application submissions, I'm working to get my "back to Michigan" life straightened out!  There is so much to do when you move from one state to another.  I finally obtained Michigan car insurance last week.  Now, I just need to get my Michigan registration and license plates, and the move will finally be complete.  

I have not had the energy to blog, although, I have been experimenting in the kitchen!  Plan to see blog entries coming soon!  Yesterday, I used left over pan fried lake trout to make baked fish cakes.  They were pretty good for a recipe made from scratch based on approximately 15 recipes I researched online! 

Ingredients
3 lake trout "steaks" - cooked and shredded
1 ear of fresh corn, cut from the cob
1/2 cup mashed potatoes
1 T Worcestershire sauce  
2 t stone ground mustard
a dash or three of Tabasco sauce
1 t pepper, 1 t salt
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 t grated fresh ginger

Coat with 2 cups cornbread crumbs


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Combine all ingredients.  Shape into patties (make a ball, as if for meatballs, and then carefully flatten it).  Dredge in cornbread crumbs.  Place on a greased baking sheet.  Bake 10 - 20 minutes.  Serve with homemade tartar sauce (1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1 T relish)


Not bad for reusing leftovers.  They were actually better than the pan fried fish steaks were.  I plan on baking some loaves of bread on Thursday to take up north this weekend.  Now that we're home in Michigan, it is time to catch some fish and sun by Houghton Lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment